Visit Warmia and Mazury by plane
The Olsztyn – Mazury Airport is picturesquely situated in the very heart of Varmia and Masuria Province in the Northeastern part of Poland. The region is widely konown as the land of 1000 lakes or the country` s green lungs. The Airport is located in Szymany, 59 km to the south off Olsztyn – the capitol of the region. The Olsztyn – Mazury is a contemporary Airport – featuring infrastructure prepared to receive domestic and international airships. State-of-the-art terminal with excellent passenger amenities is comfortable and architecturally related to the local style. The building itself has been designed with functionality, that includes accessibility for the disabled. It comprises numerous areas: a VIP Lounge, food and beverage outlets, even meeting rooms and waiting/banquet space – all ready to provide an unmatched passenger expirience – soothing and delectable atmosphere to unwind before or after the journey. Airport` s estimated handling capacity amounts to 500.000 passengers yearly and it is prepared to handle any kinds of air traffic, just to mention regular cruises, charters and general aviation flights. A 2500 m long and 45 m wide runway is equipped with radio navigational aid apparatues ILS/DME, overseeing all landing operations in reduced visibility. The Airport is accessible and friendly to the motorists. It will feature „breeze through” lane and a parking lot with approx. 150 spaces for motor vehicles. Additionally, an undeniable asset will be a railbus station located within walking distance from the entrance to the terminal. It will take the train approximately 45 minutes to cover the distance between Olsztyn and the Airport. Those unwilling to use private cars or trains will be able to choose shuttle services. The Airport is surrounded by abundance of nature, excellent leisure amenities, historic venues and touristic destinations.
The Castle of the Chapter of Varmia
The oldest wing was built in 14th century. The estate of the Chapter was administered by Nicolaus Copernicus, who inhabited the castle in the years 1516-1519 and 1520-1521. In 1521 he prepared the castle for the defence against the onslaught of the Teutonic troops of Albrecht Hohenzollern, the last Grand Master of the Teutonic Order in Prussia. At present the castle hosts the Varmia and Masuria Museum. The permanent exhibition presents exhibits from the fields of archeology, history, art, literature and objects connected with Nicolaus Copernicus. The most important reminder, which is connected with him, is the astronomic plate. It served for setting the time of the spring equinox. What is worth seeing in the courtyard is a sculpture from pagan times, so-called “Prussian Woman”, found in Barciany.
The Old Town Hall
It is located in the very centre of the Old Town and it dates back to the 14th century. The old Town Hall was rebuilt in the years 1766-70. The northern wing was built between 1927 and 1928. At present the old Town Hall is the seat of a big library.
The St. Jacob`s basilica
The Saint Jacob Major church, which has been the Warmian co-cathedral since 1972, belongs to the biggest and greatest temples in the diocese. The building works were finished in the 14th century; the over 60-metre-high tower was erected between 1562 and 1596. The spacious interior of the temple is supported by 10 pillars. What is especially remarkable in the cathedral is the late Gothic tabernacle (right beside the major altar from the 19th century), protected by bars, the sculptured triptych from the beginning of the 16th century, the sculptures of the apostles Jacob and Andrew, and finally the Saint Cross Altar from 1553.
The evangelican-augsburg`s Church
The church was designed by Phulman, a citizen of Olsztyn, and built in 1877. After the rebuilding works, in 1899, the church was given the look of a Neo-Gothic church with three galleries and a 40-metre-high tower. The legendary Prussian sacrificial stone, called Alne Status (Alle millstone), was placed under the altar. According to one of hypotheses the stone gave name of the town – Allenstein in German, and Olsztyn in Polish.
The High Gate
The Old Town is closed with the Upper Gate, which is known as the High Gate. It is a remarkable example of the civic fortifications. It is one of three gates in Olsztyn, the other two were Lower and Mill Gates but they don’t exist anymore. The High Gate was erected in the second half of the 14th century and it led from the upper suburbs to the town.
The New Town Hall
The development of the town was crowned with the erection of the New Town Hall. The building was designed in the Baroque style by architects Boldt and Zeroch and the construction works were led by Albert Dylewski and Franciszek Macpołowski. The cornerstone was placed on 31 October 1912 and the building process was completed at the end of 1915.